Have you ever thought about adding props to your photo sessions? Props can add interest, depth and an extra flair to your pictures. With the holidays coming up there will be plenty of cool and inexpensive props to make the theme of your session come alive. Here are a few tips for ways to incorporate props in your next photo session.
Remember, using props can be the perfect addition to your photos but make sure that they don’t become the focus. The main focus is you.
- Avoid trends. We all love to go to Pinterest for ideas but use it for inspiration and come up with your own ideas. Make sure your idea is timeless so when you look back on the images, they don’t look dated.
- Be realistic. It’s easy to go wild when thinking of a theme for your photo session. You should decide on one that you can actually find props for. For example, if you want to use seasonal props, try and source them in that season as they’ll be easier to find and before you decide to remake your favorite movie scene, think twice about whether you’ll be able to find suitable outfits for everyone in the photo.
- Size matters. There are some larger props that work really well in photo sessions such as using your grandpa’s farm tractor as a background piece. However, there are some larger props that can take away from the beauty of the photograph altogether. Make sure that your prop enhances the photo and doesn’t detract from it.
- Make it meaningful. If your child has a favorite stuffed animal or if you have a musical instrument that you treasure, try and incorporate it into your photos. This way your pictures will have more meaning to you and your family.
- Use what you have. Make the current season work to your advantage by using what’s available. Leaves in the fall make for amazing props in photos and don’t cost a thing.
Interested in a session with me, contact at email@example.com